Monday, October 1, 2012

Flying Lessons: a crash course

Last year when we had finally settled into the Canadian life, my wife noticed a little road sign telling that our local airport was providing sight-seeing flights around town.  The flights only cost thirty bucks but we didn't get the chance to go.  Today we saw another road sign in the same place that advertised flying lessons and it made me think of the recent terrorist attack on the American consulate in Libya.  Planes often make me think of Islamic terrorism since the first 9-11, living in New York where burnt papers ended up in the gutter of my roof on that day--it was surreal.  So the first weird thought that came to my mind was: "Learn to Fly With Us--take our crash course."  Now the sign didn't really say that, but this is often how my mind works.

Today is my first official vacation day in Canada.  I've been here since Canada Day 2010 and wasn't allowed to work until I finally got my work permit this past February and began my job in March where I went from psychologist/writer to furniture salesperson/writer.  Writers never stop being writers, and I'm currently working on a novel about the Occupy Walls Street movement--my working title is "Scent of a Movement."  So although I wasn't "working" at a "real job," I wrote a novel, Jihad Joe, as I stayed at home.  The reality is, of course, that writing a novel is probably one of the most difficult things a person can do, especially one that requires extensive research.

"I'll give you fifty bucks for that sofa"

So my first day of Canadian vacation was spent with my wife and because it was overcast and threatening rain, we went shopping.  I know that may sound boring to you, but it was nice to have time off from selling furniture to people whose goals are to keep me from making a decent living.





My latest novel, Jihad Joe, is about Islamic terrorism and suspense.  In it I challenge the precepts of the religion through my protagonist, Zed Nill, a journalist, captured by terrorists and who is destined to be killed if the American President refuses to release three Gitmo prisoners.  Of course, American policy demands we never give in to terrorists, and for Zed, the clock is ticking.

Jihad Joe Soft Cover       



No comments:

Post a Comment

The imbalance of nature: blame the Jews

Iran launched an unprecedented attack on Israel on Saturday night, April 13, using over 300 rockets, missiles and UAVs to assault the civili...