Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dear Dad

Dear Dad,
I can't believe how long it has been since I've seen you. I still remember that time in Atlantic City when the family went on a short vacation--I was six years old or so. I had a plastic toy rifle and left it in the back window of the car. The sun melted it so badly, the barrel almost formed a "U".  When I brought it to you, almost crying, you told me you'd buy me another one, but for now, the one I had would be able to shoot around corners. We both laughed and I felt better immediately--that was the way you had with us kids.


When I had gone into the Marine Corps you drove about a thousand miles just to see my graduation. I remember when my platoon marched across the tarmac, I saw you from the corner of my eyes--you were snapping photos like your camera was a machine gun, and I recognized the look of pride on your face. I was just a young man back then, but now I'm sixty-five. It seems like only yesterday, but it was so long ago.


I was at Marine Corps Air Station in Jacksonville, Florida, spending the night in town with some buddies, when I got the call.  No warning, no sympathy, just a brief message from the base Officer of the Day that you had died. "Your father is dead," he told me, "you can go home on emergency leave," he added.


After I returned from Viet Nam, you weren't there. Somehow I felt you would be, but I also knew you wouldn't. Mom was a mess, but she was strong and pulled through it. 


I wish you stayed longer. You were so young and such a positive person to be around. I still remember some of your poetry even though my memory has declined over the years. I miss you, Dad.


Now I'm a father and a grandfather--you'd love the family.


Say hello to Mom and Ellen--tell them Susie and i will be there to join you all before very long--life is so short here--before you can turn around you're old and gray, and full of sleep, and nodding by the fire (that was Yeats, not me).  And happy Father's Day.
Love,
Rob









No comments:

Post a Comment

The imbalance of nature: blame the Jews

Iran launched an unprecedented attack on Israel on Saturday night, April 13, using over 300 rockets, missiles and UAVs to assault the civili...