Friday, February 17, 2012

Freedom vs Security: a Dilemma

What if the country had 30,000 drones flying overhead watching where you shop, where you go during the course of your day, how much you drew out of the ATM machine and what code you plugged in to get the money?  Okay, you say, but these drones the government wants to use are for the bad guys, they're not for me.

What about the internet--what if all your navigating the web was known?  What if you were doing research on a novel about, say, Islamic terrorism, and you went to the sites that talked about this, and perhaps about bomb-making techniques (because your novel called for this information), and even websites about Mohammad and jihad.  Would you be okay with the government being able to follow your web footprints, just for the sake of what they are calling "security"?  Would you be okay being watched like this?

I would.

The reason I can say this is that I went to Islamic sites that spoke about Islam both positively and negatively.  I learned about the religion called Islam, and about jihad by the sword.  I learned about the Koran and hadith.  I learned about contradictions in Islam too.  I had to do this as research for my novel, Jihad Joe, because if I didn't do this research, the book would not have been believable.  And to be perfectly frank, I have nothing to hide so if the government followed my web footprints, more power to them--literally--more power to them.  They know I've done this for different reasons than a terrorist would have.

But what I have a problem with is the PC security being performed at our nation's airports.  They look for liquids that might be used by terrorists to blow up the planes, but they refuse to look at people who fit the description of terrorists who do the blowing up.  They refuse to consider those people who are willing to use the planes itself as the weapons of mass destruction. It refuses to do what El Al, the Israeli airline with a terrorist-free safety record, to do--profile passengers and ask the right questions.


Most Muslims are not terrorists (although they don't speak out much against them), but most terrorists are Muslims.  If you are offended by that, I guess you're either a liberal, a terrorist, or a sympathizer. I lived close to Ground Zero--had burnt paper on my roof gutters from 9/11.  I worked with survivors and their families, so don't bother telling me that 9/11 was our fault.  If you believe that, go live in Saudi Arabia where the terrorists mostly came from--or better yet, Iran.
 
If you are interested in reading a novel about Islam, terrorism and suspense, I have provided 2 links below for both the hard copy (softcover) edition and the ebook edition of my latest novel.  It's a story about Zed Nill, a NY based reporter who is taken hostage by Islamic terrorists and must talk his way out of captivity before he is beheaded the following day. The clock is ticking.
Jihad Joe: a Novel  Create Space soft cover book edition
Jihad Joe see it here ebook version 

  http://tinyurl.com/6p69cb7     Ebook: Conservatweets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Joe Biden is able to make the Francis Scott Key Bridge about himself

By now, most every American knows about the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse. It's a tragedy that has apparently claimed the lives of a...