Thursday, March 31, 2011

homeless woman: this photo is blogged

One of the last visits I made to Coney Island was on the day I took this photo. I knew I was coming to Canada in just a few weeks and I didn't want to miss this wild and wacky place. Coney Island, get it while it's hot. See the boardwalk, ride the Ferris Wheel and get ripped off for half your life savings just to go around at an incredibly slow speed just once; eat the cotton candy, ride the Cyclone--the scariest roller coaster known to mankind--not because of the speed nor the height, but because it is likely to literally fall apart while you're on it.

This woman in the photo was standing near the subway exit when Thasneem and I arrived and she was working the tourists for spare change. She seemed to be scoring quite well and her next stop would be on the boardwalk where there would be literally thousands of opportunities to collect for her next purchase of whatever it was she bought to "keep on keepin' on."


I miss the Isle of Coney, named by the Dutch for the fact that it had zillions of rabbits here in days gone by. I was told that coney is close to the word "rabbit" in Dutch, but my Dutch son-in-law's mother said no, that it isn't close. So maybe I need to Bing it and see for myself--aha--I just did and the word for rabbit in Dutch is "konijn." Well, I can see a similarity and perhaps the story is true that Coney Island is really Konijn Eiland. I really love the Bing Translator.


But in any case, Ottawa may not compare with Coney Island in terms of hotdogs and fries, but it has great people, good restaurants, and even a few homeless souls (or more) on George Street and around town.


I just wish I new where to go to get a decent knish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Biden approved Iran's assault on Israel as long as it was "within certain limits"

Iran fired a large barrage of drones, ballistic missiles and rockets at Israel Saturday night into Sunday morning. Fortunately, their result...