Showing posts with label March for Our Lives. Show all posts
Showing posts with label March for Our Lives. Show all posts

Sunday, March 30, 2025

March for our Lives is dying slowly

Perpetually angry at something gun related

There’s a certain absurdity baked into the gun control movement, a kind of tragicomic repetition that would make even Sisyphus wince. Everyone on that side of the debate seems compelled to start their own little outfit, each one parroting the same tired lines as the last, as if the sheer volume of organizations might somehow drown out the Second Amendment.

March for Our Lives at least had the decency to carve out a niche, focusing on America’s youth—a group typically more preoccupied with their phones than with policy. Born from the blood and anguish of Parkland, spearheaded by survivors who turned trauma into a megaphone, it burst onto the scene with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Money flowed in, headlines followed, and for a moment, it looked like they might actually shift the tectonic plates of American gun culture.

But apparently not enough money flowed in to keep the lights on, as the group has just sacked most of its full-time staff—a pruning so severe it’s less a trim and more a clear-cut.

March For Our Lives is slashing its employees and anointing a new leader. Last week, the gun-control crusaders announced they’d be parting ways with 13 of their 16 full-time staffers—leaving a rump outfit that could barely man a picket line, let alone a movement. They’ve also tapped Jaclyn Corin, a 24-year-old Parkland survivor and co-founder, as their new executive director, thrusting her into the unenviable role of captaining a ship that’s sprung more leaks than a pair of Biden's 3-week-old skivvies.

“We are facing financial challenges as an organization, not unlike many nonprofit advocacy organizations in this time,” Corin told The 19th, with the sort of measured resignation you’d expect from someone watching their dreams sink into the quicksand of reality. “I am sure things would look differently with a different outcome of the election, but these are the systems and circumstances in which we have to make adjustments based on the financial situation we find ourselves in. It is incredibly unfortunate that these cuts have to happen.”

This isn’t just a stumble—it’s a face-plant for one of America’s loudest anti-gun voices. With the midterms looming, their ability to influence anything beyond a Twitter thread is now in serious doubt. It’s the culmination of a slow, pitiful decline from the dizzying heights of their early days—a fall from grace that’s been as predictable as it is painful to watch.

When I first saw the headline and dug into the piece, my mind went straight to DOGE—the Musk-Trump efficiency juggernaut—taking a flamethrower to the NGO gravy train. The money wasn’t meant to go directly to gun control groups, of course, but we all know the game: it gets funneled through pass-through entities, those clever little NGOs that scoop up USAID cash and sprinkle it onto anti-gun campaigns like confetti at a protest. With that spigot now largely shut off, I suspect we’re witnessing the first tremors of a broader reckoning for these outfits.

That said, I wouldn’t pin it all on DOGE’s budget axe. March For Our Lives was showing signs of distress before Trump swaggered back into the Oval Office and Musk started slashing government waste with the zeal of a man who’d rather be colonizing Mars. The rot, it seems, was already setting in.
The numbers tell a grim tale. Public records show fundraising at its two nonprofit arms has cratered. The non-political foundation went from $2.2 million in 2022 to $1.4 million in 2023, landing more than $300,000 in the red—a shortfall that’s less a hiccup and more a financial coronary. Its political advocacy wing fared worse, plunging from $7 million in 2022 to under $3.5 million the next year. Both bled deficits, and neither came close to the $18.6 million war chest they amassed in 2018’s heady days.

We don’t have 2024’s figures yet, but Corin’s comments suggest the bleeding hasn’t stopped—it’s just gotten messier. She admits they overreached, took on more than they could sustain, and watched the cash evaporate.

Michael Bloomberg could’ve plugged the gap with the loose change from his Mayfair townhouse, but he didn’t. I’d wager the laid-off staffers are mulling that over as they draft their CVs.

What we’re seeing here is a classic case of hubris meeting reality. They rode a tsunami of donations in 2018, assumed the well would never run dry, and built their operation on the shaky premise that the cheques would keep coming. They didn’t. Inflation bit, ordinary Americans tightened their belts, and even the deep-pocketed donors got stingier—perhaps tiring of a cause that’s starting to feel like a broken record.

Rather than adapt, they clung to optimism, hoping the tide would turn. It didn’t, and now they’re binning over 80 percent of their full-time staff—including, presumably, the very people tasked with shaking the money tree. A bold strategy, if your goal is to accelerate your own irrelevance.

March for Our Lives stormed in with righteous fury and a fat bankroll, but it’s limping out as a cautionary tale: even the loudest voices fade when the cash runs dry. They wanted to change America. Instead, they’ve just reminded us that idealism, unchecked by pragmatism, ends up as little more than ash.

"Hey, if you’re enjoying this blog as much as I enjoy writing it, feel free to fuel my caffeine addiction over at Buy Me a Coffee – no pressure, just good vibes!"


Sunday, June 10, 2018

Parkland self-declared gun control experts: 'If you don't support us, it'll look like you're going against kids'

Gun control 'expert' Emma Gonzales 
I suspect George Soros is funding the Parkland kids who on Monday are expected to announce plans for a 20-state summer bus tour hawking anti-Second Amendment garbage and acting as if victimhood makes them experts on this issue.

For a teenager, this kind of stuff is way cool. They get to pontificate and tell grownups what they must do. If the grownups for whatever reason refuse to obey their directives, well that just means that it'll look like they're going against kids.

What bull crap!

And more than that, what bullying!

David Hogg [what an appropriate name] and Emma González will be the stars of the March for Our Lives: Road to Change gun-control protest on their 75-stop tour. These kids will meet with victims and survivors of shootings [except for those survivors who favor self-protection measures acknowledged under the Second Amendment] and focus on even more gun control legislation that thus far hasn't been properly followed by law enforcement.

These kids will also register fellow youths to vote, hopefully only on only one issue.

Hogg, 18, promoted his bus tour saying, "I'm glad I'm getting my diploma and not my death certificate."
Sieg Hogg
Actually, he would not be the one to get his death certificate--that would be his parents, but it's a nice emotional line that should get people to vote with their hearts, not with the facts.

Fellow child opportunist and Parkland anti-gun activist Emma González will be with Hogg on the bus tour [whose sponsor is remaining in the shadows] and had the temerity to say, "If you don't support this . . . it'll look like you're going against kids."

Obviously this isn't true.

If you don't support anti-Second Amendment rights it merely means you're pro-Second Amendment and a free-thinker who sees the problem not in the existence of guns, but in those who would use them for evil--much like those who use knives and trucks for the same purpose. Trying to make pro-Second Amendment people feel guilty, and manipulate other misinformed people about how guns are guilty of crime, isn't going fool very many people whose brains are intact.

Let's face it, this tour is well-organized and has leftist money behind it. The kickoff is set for June 15 in Chicago, home of the illegal handgun and Barack Obama [unless you believe he was born in Kenya].  The tour will make 50 additional stops across the country while a "simultaneous" Florida tour will make 25 stops in that state.

In a March for Our Lives news release, they said the student gun-control self-proclaimed policy experts are calling for "universal, comprehensive background checks [not counting the background checks that weren't followed up by law enforcement in the Parkland shooting and others where the warning signs were there]; creating a searchable database for gun owners [in case the government wants to confiscate their weapons like what happened in Nazi Germany];
funding the Centers for Disease Control to research gun violence [because these kids feel that gun violence is a disease that can be cured with the proper drugs];" and "banning high-capacity magazines and semi-automatic assault rifles," [proving they don't know what a semi-automatic weapon is, nor how lawless people don't give a crap about what size magazine they're allowed to have as they commit acts of violence].

These kids are obviously looking for their 15 minutes of fame and some money under the table. I hope people are smart enough to see through their gun smoke screen.


FBI evidently confronted Eric "Boom Boom" Swalwell over the weekend and hoo boy

It has been a rough stretch for former Rep. Eric "Boom Boom" Swalwell . You know, the guy who's known for the fart heard round...