Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Former Hamas Hostage Counters Hasan Piker’s UT Austin Appearance With the Reality of Oct. 7

Maya Regev recovers in hospital

There is a peculiar luxury enjoyed by people who discuss atrocities from a comfortable distance. They can reduce human beings to political abstractions, transform suffering into talking points, and dismiss inconvenient facts when those facts interfere with a preferred ideological narrative.

Former Hamas hostage Maya Regev does not have that luxury.

Regev survived the Oct. 7, 2023, massacre at the Nova Music Festival, was shot in both legs, abducted by Hamas and held captive in Gaza for two months. When controversial Twitch streamer and human excrement Hasan Piker appeared at the University of Texas at Austin, Regev offered students something considerably less fashionable than internet commentary: firsthand experience.

Piker, a vocal critic of Israel and proud anti-Semite, made headlines with his visit to UT Austin, even before he arrived in the Lone Star State.

Piker: post-digestive waste

While he was speaking at an event hosted by University Democrats, Regev was telling students what it was actually like to experience the horrors of Oct. 7 and Hamas captivity.

The contrast was difficult to miss.

In a recent conversation with Fox News Digital, Regev addressed one of Piker's most infamous remarks concerning the sexual violence committed by Hamas terrorists on Oct. 7: "It doesn’t matter if rapes f---ing happened on Oct. 7, like that doesn’t change the dynamic for me." What a dickweed.

Regev pointed out the obvious problem with allowing such a worldview to dominate the conversation, particularly among students who may be hearing competing claims about the atrocities committed that day.

Asked about his remarks concerning reported rapes committed by Hamas, Piker later told The New Republic that there was "definitely testimony of sexual violence that had taken place amongst the hostages. But that doesn’t change the dynamic of Israel committing a genocide against the Palestinians, and my opposing that genocide."

Regev's response was not to demand that Piker be silenced. It was to make sure students heard from someone who had actually been there.


Chabad, a Jewish organization with representatives across the globe, contacted Regev about speaking at UT Austin after Piker's appearance was announced.

"I'm not here to silence anyone," Regev told Fox News Digital. "I came there to let people hear what I've been through, like the other side of the story, with facts, with pictures, with records."

That distinction matters.

Piker has millions of low-information followers and an enormous platform. Regev has something different: the scars of what she is describing, much like the Hamasshole who video taped the atrocities and bragged about it. Much like the other now eliminated Hamasshole who called his parents on his dead victim's phone and bragged about all the Jews he murdered.

The Anti-Defamation League has criticized Piker for what it calls his "anti-Semitic conspiracy theories and tropes." Among the comments highlighted by the organization is Piker's claim that Hamas hostage and American-Israeli soldier Edan Alexander had volunteered for the "Nazi army."

Anyone who actually believes this garbage needs a brain transplant.


Regev acknowledged that Piker has freedom of speech and "can say whatever he wants." Her point was that students should not mistake popularity for evidence or social-media reach for firsthand knowledge.

"For me, Oct. 7, it's not a debate, it's not something I read online. It's something that I've lived through, something that will forever be inside me, something that I will have to live with for the rest of my life," she told Fox News Digital. "I just think that it's important for them to understand that behind every story there are real human beings."

There is a fundamental psychological difference between reading about an atrocity and being one of its victims, aka fiction v. truth.

"I was a hostage. I was a Hamas hostage," Regev told Fox News Digital. "I was being held by Hamas, by those monsters, and I think that students might, you know, forget that they are actually real human beings, real families that lost their lives, real women that got raped, men, lives were destroyed on Oct. 7."

That is precisely the danger of turning mass violence into ideological theater. Once victims become symbols rather than people, almost anything can be rationalized, especially by a scumcrumpet like Piker who makes a ton of money off his Jew-hating balderdash.

Regev also challenged the growing influence of online personalities who form opinions for audiences that have never personally encountered the realities being discussed.

"When they hear an influencer post something, when they read something, it's important for them to check the facts before they are repeating a slogan or celebrating death of innocent people," Regev said.

She later added, "I sat with those people. I lived with them for two months, with Hamas people... I think that people should listen to a person who was really there and not to a person who just sees stuff online and has millions of followers."

It is difficult to identify a more elementary principle for evaluating competing claims: someone who experienced an event possesses information that someone watching videos about the event does not--especially by someone looking to weave a story to align with his anti-Zionist/anti-Semitism about the event.

Regev also addressed what she believes influencers such as Piker fail to understand about Gaza, particularly Hamas' use of Palestinian civilians as human shields.

I suspect Piker understands what Hamassholes did on Oct. 7, 2023, but lies about it to make his evil point.

"Hamas is using children and women and elderly women as a human shield," Regev said. "I think, again, people should know the facts before they're talking, and especially when you're very influencing."

Her own story began at the Nova Music Festival on Oct. 7, 2023.

Regev attended the festival with her brother, Itay Regev, and her friend Omer Shem Tov. When the rocket alerts began at 6:29 a.m., she initially was not especially alarmed. Having grown up in Israel, she had experienced rocket alerts before. Even young children know the score.

"We thought it was just a matter of time before everything will calm down, and we can keep on partying, but after some time we understood that it [was] a lot more serious than what we thought," she said.

The group headed toward their cars, only to be told by police officers to abandon them because terrorists had invaded Israel.

Regev, her brother and Shem Tov then ran for what she estimated was between 60 and 90 minutes.

Eventually, they received a call from Ori Danino, a friend of a friend who had also been at the festival. Danino had escaped the immediate danger but turned around to try to rescue them.

It was an act of extraordinary courage.

It also ended with all of them being abducted.

The group had been driving for approximately five minutes when "a big pickup truck" carrying terrorists opened fire. Regev was shot in both legs. Her brother was also wounded.

The terrorists dragged Regev, her brother and Shem Tov from the vehicle, forced them into the pickup truck and drove them into Gaza.

Danino initially escaped, but another group of terrorists eventually captured him and took him into the Strip.

The Regev siblings were released from Hamas captivity in late November 2023, only days apart.

Freedom, however, did not mean that Regev could simply return to the life she had known.

Her release was accompanied by the knowledge that friends remained underground in Gaza.

"It was a total shock. I thought that Omer will return home, like, a few days after me, but then the ceasefire was stopped. So, it was very hard for me. I couldn't believe that I escaped this hell, and they are still there being held, Ori, Omer, all the other hostages," Regev told the outlet.

Danino, the man who had risked his life attempting to rescue Regev, her brother and Shem Tov, would spend 11 months in captivity before Hamas executed him along with Hersh Goldberg-Polin, Eden Yerushalmi, Carmel Gat, Almog Sarusi and Alexander Lobanov.

Shem Tov endured 505 days in Hamas captivity before being released on Feb. 22, 2025.

For Regev, surviving created its own psychological burden.

"I felt very guilty that I was saved, that I'm back home with my family. I can get the medical treatment that I needed to receive and there are people there suffering, still hostages suffering, not eating, being abused physically and mentally. But I understood that I have a voice now, and I have to use it, and I'll do anything in my [power] to bring them back home," she added, obviously experiencing survivor's guilt.

Eventually, with her brother and Shem Tov home, Regev could begin contemplating a future rather than simply surviving the present.

Her ambitions are remarkably ordinary.

She wants to walk outside. Look at the sky. Travel. Study. Spend time with friends and family. Enjoy being alive.

"I just want to do everything that makes me happy," Regev told Fox News Digital. "When I was there in captivity, I promised myself that I will live life. I told myself that if I'll ever be home again, I'll live life, and I'll study, and I'll go travel the world, and I'd be with friends and my family. And it's what I'm doing now, you know, I'm just doing whatever makes me happy."

"I think that the only thing I wish for myself is to be happy forever and grateful for everything that I have."

Perhaps that is the most important counterargument Regev brought to UT Austin.

It was not merely a competing political position. It was a reminder that beneath the slogans, statistics and ideological narratives are human beings who bleed, suffer, remember and mourn.

Piker can discuss Oct. 7 from a livestream. Regev carries Oct. 7 with her.

One is hateful commentary.

The other is real memory.

Gentle readers, please take time to give a click on the ads on this page--it's one way to support my work and you don't need to purchase anything just to look. Of course, you can Buy Me A Coffee at any amount if you want to support me directly, but no pressure. And finally, consider subscribing if you enjoy the blog--it's free, and totally worth the cost.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Former Hamas Hostage Counters Hasan Piker’s UT Austin Appearance With the Reality of Oct. 7

Maya Regev recovers in hospital There is a peculiar luxury enjoyed by people who discuss atrocities from a comfortable distance. They can r...