Sunday, May 24, 2026

White House shooter had criminal history and was mentally ill


The man fatally shot by Secret Service agents after authorities said he opened fire at a White House security checkpoint Saturday had a documented history of encounters with law enforcement and mental health concerns.

"Thank you to our great Secret Service and Law Enforcement for the swift and professional action taken this evening against a gunman near the White House, who had a violent history and possible obsession with our Country’s most cherished structure," President Donald Trump wrote early Sunday morning on Truth Social.

"The gunman is dead after an exchange of gunfire with Secret Service Agents near the White House gates."

The dead gunman was identified as Nasire Best, a 21-year-old Maryland man, who was previously known to United States Secret Service around the White House complex, according to a July 2025 D.C. Superior Court filing.

A 21-year-old armed with a revolver was killed after exchanging gunfire with Secret Service agents near the White House gates, President Trump said. 

In that incident, Best walked into a restricted area at a White House pedestrian access control post, ignored commands to stop and claimed he was Jesus Christ and that he wanted to get arrested, according to the filing. He was arrested on an unlawful entry charge in that incident.

The filing said Best interacted with the Secret Service, walking around the White House complex and asking how to gain access at various entry posts. It also said he had been involuntarily committed in June 2025 after obstructing vehicle entry to the White House complex. In that incident, Best claimed he was Jesus Christ and that he wanted to get arrested, according to court filing.

Officers requested a stay-away order barring Best from the White House area after the July arrest, according to the filing.

The New York Post reported that a bench warrant was later issued after Best failed to appear for a subsequent hearing.

Then on Saturday, he approached a checkpoint near 17th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue NW shortly after 6 p.m. ET, pulled a gun from a bag and opened fire on Secret Service officers. Fortunately, Best was the worst in marksmanship as officers returned fire, striking Best, who was quickly taken to a hospital and later died.

Photo by Fox News

A bystander was also wounded, though officials had not said who fired the round that struck that person or released the person’s condition. No Secret Service agents were injured. Trump was inside the White House at the time and was briefed on the shooting thanks to the lack of gun range practice by the late Best shooter.

His overnight post added a call for White House security, which is being removed from the Senate's now-stalled budget reconciliation package.

"This event is one month removed from the White House Correspondent’s Dinner shooting, and goes to show how important it is, for all future Presidents, to get, what will be, the most safe and secure space of its kind ever built in Washington, D.C.," Trump's post concluded. "The National Security of our Country demands it!"

And a ballroom wouldn't hurt.

The shooting briefly placed the White House on lockdown. Reporters on the North Lawn were rushed into the press briefing room as agents responded with weapons drawn. The lockdown was lifted at 6:46 p.m. ET.

Authorities had not announced a motive as of early Sunday, but it's safe to say that Best was not a Republican.

The FBI and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives were assisting the Secret Service and Metropolitan Police Department in the investigation.


Thank you for following Brain Flushings. Please take time to simply check out the sponsors on this page--it's one way to support my work. Of course, you can Buy Me A Coffee if you want to support me directly. Finally, don't be afraid to subscribe if you enjoy the blog--it's free, and worth the cost.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Trump admin may be willing to make 'significant accommodations' on sanctions relief for the terrorists

WASHINGTON—In a stunning display of 21st-century diplomacy that somehow hasn't collapsed into a mushroom cloud yet, Secretary of State M...